[LMB] Off Topic: Tim Minear is doing Moon Is A Harsh Mistress

Vincentalienzk at aol.com Vincentalienzk at aol.com
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 07:37:53 EDT

In a message dated 08/07/2004 11:53:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lois-bujold-request at lists.herald.co.uk writes:
Margaret Dean:
> Is this Mike and Manny discussing the nature of humor in the
> opening chapters of THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS?
Tim Minear of Firefly is supposed to be producing and/or directing Moon. I'm
looking forward to that, but I'm hoping It is still recognizably Heinlein
after they get it onto the big screen. I'd love to see Citizen of The Glaxy turned
into a movie, too. There was a scene in the book where the captain of a navy
ship is reminiscing about Thorbies' 'Father' getting volunteers for a raid
against slavers. Something like, "If he asked you, you'd go."

Vince

    Vimes took out his notebook, eased it under Dorfl's hand, and gently
pushed a pencil into the golem's fungers. They watched the hand as it wrote- a
little jerkily but still with the precision of a golem- eight words.
    Then it stopped. The pencil rolled away. The lights in Dorfl's eyes
dwindled and went out.
    "Good grief," breathed Angua. "They don't need words in their heads..."
    "We can rebuild him," said Carrot hoarsely. "We have the pottery."
    Vimes stared at the words, then at what remained of Dorfl.
    "Mr. Vimes?" said Carrot.
    "Do it," said Vimes.
    Carrot blinked.
    "Right now," Vimes said. He looked back at the scrawl in his notebook.
    WORDS IN THE HEART CAN NOT BE TAKEN.
    "And when you rebuild him," he said, "when you rebuild him... give him a
voice. Understand? And get someone to look at your hand."
    "A voice, sir?"
    "Do it!"
Feet of Clay, Terry Pratchett