[LMB] Quaddies in DI

PAT MATHEWS mathews55 at msn.com
Mon, 09 Aug 2004 10:04:05 -0600

I just realized what was missing in DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY which made the
depiction of the Quaddie culture seem to be lacking something:

On religious, conservative Athos, we see the Undesignated Set acting like
juvenile delinquents.

On Kline Station, we have Horrible Helga, and a young cop trying to flirt
with Ethan rather than do her duty, and a redneck bar whose customers
incline to violence. And kids playing with the recycling systems.

On super-democratic, super-rational Beta Colony, we see their very own
Dolores Umbridge in action, and Cordelia drops several hints about their
authoritarian side.

We see the dark side of Barrayar throughout the series.

We see Cetaganda's pack of silly socialites, their ruthless ghem-colonel (in
Ethan of Athos), and the power struggles in the Star Chamber.

And so on. By contrast, the Quaddies seem to have had their personalities
tailored along the lines of social insects by their corporate creators.
Granted that their culture values a good worker for very good reasons, where
are their slackers, their rebels, their frivolous set? The worst we ever see
of them is overworked, irritated functionaries who have every right to be
so.

Just my $0.02,

Pat