[LMB] OT: Pratchett's best -- and worst

Eric Martichuski herewiss13 at hotmail.com
Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:22:54 -0700

>From: Tom Vinson <Tom_Vinson at mpsisys.com>
>If you're looking for a general introduction to Pratchett
>the L-Space Web site (http://www.ie.lspace.org/) may prove
>useful.

Another good (and related) Pratchett Resource is the Annotated Pratchett
File (APF).  It's currently a little out of date in regards to the most
recent books, but otherwise contains a _compendium_ of references for all
the in-jokes, obscure references, British-isms and, yes, [sic]punes. ;-)  To
read the file for one of the books is almost as fun as re-visiting the book
itself...and certainly gives you more respect for the information density of
the work.  I would be impressed if any one person could get more than 75% of
the references in any one Pratchett novel.

For example, I _now_ know where the word "Jingo" originates and how
Pratchett makes a joke of it, not only in the title, but in a quote by the
Patrician as well (you can look it up). ;-)

The APF can be found here:

http://www.co.uk.lspace.org/books/apf/

And, if you're really dedicated, I'm told hunting on Deja News for newer
titles and "annotation" can produce similar results not yet found in the
APF.

...it also covers the non-Discworld books (including Good Omens) as well as
some real-life quotations, some of which are funnier than his written work.

"There is no other wisdom,
And no other hope for us
But that we grow wise. -- Diane Duane