[LMB] OT: Malfoy on Pratchett, rated G I swear.

Azalais Malfoy tiamat at tsoft.com
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:45:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, K Kuhn wrote:

> Nick Pilon wrote:
>
> > Aside from Rincewind (who I can't stand), I think the problem with the
> > early books was that he was trying too hard to parody specific things.

That would be something that would put me off, for sure.

> I'm not sure Malfoy would agree.   I am not a lit crit, nor do I play
> one on TV, but I think it sorta depends on why she hates the way puns
> are used in Pratchett's work.  IMO, one difference between LMB and
> Pratchett is that Pratchett's characters are aware they're living in a
> world that runs on storytelling logic, while LMB's aren't.

When I have picked up his books and flipped through them in
stores, part of the reason I have never felt the burning desire
to take one with me is that it has a rather *contrived* feel, as
though everyone knows they're in a book, and not just knows
they're in a book, but a rather silly book at that.  And it's not
part of the universe like in THE EYRE AFFAIR that books are
necessarily real, or at least it didn't seem to be.

I have such a hard time believing that Discworld exists.

> For instance, Pratchett's guards know that million to one
> chances always come off - so you have them working out how to
> get to a million and one chance if merely aiming a lucky arrow
> at a big vulnerable spot is only a ten to one chance - so "the
> odds of a man with soot on his face, his tongue sticking out,
> standing on one leg and singing The Hedgehog Son ever hitting a
> dragon's voonerables would be a million to one chance."  (not
> that it worked, but still).

That *is* the sort of thing that would make me groan.

~malfoy