[LMB] Expensive stuff

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:15:10 -0700

I appreciate that you *can* get what you pay for, and that cheap is often bad;
what I fear is spending a lot of money on something which turns out to be crap
anyway.

Sunglasses: my old sunglasses I got in San Francisco, I think in some store
downdown, and for not much.  I'd guess $10-$20.  They were comfortable, decent
looking (I thought) and effective.  Then I was stupid and broke them.

So I ran off to Sunglass Hut in the mall and went bleah: lots of small lenses
(I want decent protection) and short stems (I thought I needed long to stay on
my ears, though I have new ideas about degree of hookedness and the spring
tension -- though it shouldn't be so tight as to be uncomfortable.)  There was
an almost exact match for my old glasses, but they were Ray-Bans for $75.  !!!
The next best seemed to be Anne Kleins for $25, and were a bit loose from the
beginning, and recently seem to have become *very* loose, as one of the stems
is very wobbly.  I bought them in December, and they've been mostly protected
in a hardshell case.

In Boston recently, getting sleeping gear at a CVS (general+pharmacy type
store, like Osco and Walgreens) since I was travelling by Greyhound, I stopped
by the sunglasses case.  There was a pretty good pair for $12, which I should
have bought, really, but I ended up buying some "Sun Covers", which are more
like goggles and fit great, but won't fit into any case I've ever seen.  $16.
So for $28 I could have gotten two good glasses for about the price of the
Anne Klein, and which if they're like the old ones might last a lot longer.

-xx- Damien X-)