[LMB] OT: Pratchett's best -- and worst

I iosef at gothic.net.au
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 23:39:55 +1000

At 11:02 PM 12/08/2004, PAT MATHEWS wrote:
>>From: I <iosef at gothic.net.au>
>
>>Last Continent was specifically riffing on Australian culture as seen by
>>poms, and in many cases as presented to Poms. Drop Bears, Priscilla ,
>>Peach Melba and the big wet. And the Bullroarer in the final chapter is a
>>real Koori signaler that was used to try and summon rain by some tribes.
>>To people outside those two groups, it is probably lacking cultural referents.
>
>I did pick up on Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, but totally missed that
>Rincewind (?) was re-inventing vegemite. I just thought he ruined his meal!
>
>Pat
Probably the most obscure is the drop bears reference. A standing Aussie
joke on tourists is to describe a Koala and tell them about the Koalas
carnivorous cousin, the drop bear. Explaine how they attck by landing on
their prey by droping from above, attempting to stun the victim, who they
will then devour. This is made more believable by the rare but documented
occasions that stoned Koalas fall out of trees. There is a story of a
Platoon of Americans during one the "Kangaroo" exercises, being routed by
an Aussie up a tree dropping a koala on them, having primed them before the
exercise began.

Iestyn