[LMB] OT: Malfoy on Pratchett, rated G I swear. (and stuff about Aral and Cordelia added)

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:40:56 -0400 (EDT)

Azalais Malfoy wrote: <snip>

> > I have such a hard time believing that Discworld
> > exists.

I don't believe that Discworld exists either, not even
while I am in the process of reading about it.  WHen
I'm reading the books, that simply doesn't matter -
the humour and the humanism exist and the whole
entertainment value exist without my needing to
believe in anything at all.

Karen:
> To me, Pratchett
> is rather the same way - you take the Discworld as a
> gimme, just like you take star travel, or the
> various wizardly world implausibilities, as
> a gimme, because what the characters do with that
> gimme is worth while.

I think I would agree with this.  I personally enjoy
reading Pratchett more than Rowling.

Karen:
> And much of that "what the characters do with the
> gimme" has a definite moral point, just like LMB.

Yes.  A strong reason that I love both - not even just
what they do, but what they do with it.

> (Written Thursday - so sorry if this post also takes
> a week to actually
> show up on the list like the last one did)

I'll hope you mean today-Thursday and not
last-week's-Thursday....

> Aral and Cordelia is much better that way,
> though I still kinda wish there'd be a scene where
> Aral gets to out-argue Cordelia sometime in
> one of the books because she's being stupid.

What a lovely notion!  There are times I want to argue
with Cordelia myself, not necessarily because I
disagree with her but because I think she'd be fun to
argue with (unlike most people, who argue whether you
want them to or not).  But of course I think Aral is
just about perfect... if I ever have a slightly
jaundiced attitude to Cordelia, it's because I envy
her.

namaste,
Elizabeth
who doesn't really go around envying fictional
character, except in principle