[LMB] EU admissions, OT:, was Deliquent Quaddies

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:26:55 -0700

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 10:42:58AM -0700, Dan Tilque wrote:

> England is part of Europe in BiA, but it seems independent from
> Brazil. Although that may not be the case -- at the rate the EU
> is exapnding, long before then the entire planet will be part of
> it...

Heh.  And the US was taken out in some war, in that timeline.  Though really,
we know Earth is still split up.

But that got me thinking.  At first I flinched at the thought of a global EU
(I don't like the thought of a single WorldGov), but then thought that if the
EU doesn't dilute its human rights and economic admission standards (though
the big two seem to stretching the economics) then there would be worse fates
for the human race.  And then I wondered what the admission standards are.

So, AKICIF: what are the EU requirements and obligations, short version?  (I
know, nothing about the EU is terse, but try.)  My mental picture is "treat
your people decently, be a democracy, don't use the death penalty (that means
YOU, US), don't let your gov't deficit be more than 3% of your GDP, as well as
following this brief metric ton of binding economic suggestions."

Could the US join without changing deeply, except for a death penalty?  Would
it be enough for the federal level to not use it, with some states still using
it?  Would some canton in Switzerland still barring women from voting bar
Switzerland from joining?

-xx- Damien X-)