[LMB] OT: Malfoy on Pratchett,

Alex Y. Kwan litalex at slashyalex.com
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 05:13:43 +0800

Hello,

From: "Paula Lieberman" <paal at gis.net>
> stories, writers with idea-driven stories, etc.  China Mountain Zhang by
> Maureen McCue [spelling] bored me completely.  I kept waited for this

McHugh, iirc.

> gormless protagonist to DO something, take a stand, be proactive, ANYTHING
> but stop drifting around being utterly BORING and aimless and BORING to
me.
> Others think it is a wonderful novel, me, it was utter drivel for.

I think he actually did a lot more than it felt like. I mean, when you
really break it down plot-wise, he did plenty. He was just so...calmly
reflective over everything that it felt like he just meandering along life.
I'd say her other novels felt just about the same, too. They all end on this
note, a bit after the protagonists have achieved their goals and suddenly
discovered that all their problems -- which felt insurmountable before --
have been solved, but a new set of problems have arrived, because the world
is never what you once expected it to be. Excellent world-building, though.
Very detailed and realistic.

little Alex