[LMB] OT: Malfoy on Pratchett, rated G I swear.

Azalais Malfoy tiamat at tsoft.com
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:03:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Damien Sullivan wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 08:10:40PM -0700, Azalais Malfoy wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Damien Sullivan wrote:
>
> > > As said, Carrot is a policeman/copper, with intimations of
> > > being a king in hiding; for both occupations, exquisite
> > > fairness seems a *highly* desirable trait.  You *don't* want
> > > cops who enforce law preferentially for their friends, or a
> > > king who makes the laws preferentially.  At least, most of us
> > > don't, maybe that's standard Slytherin practice or something.
> >
> > Cheap shot or hurriedly-phrased genuine question?
>
> Question.  I've never sure what your enthusiasm for Slytherin, or for
> Jackson's Whole, is supposed to entail.

It is what it is.  Jackson's Whole is an interesting place for me
because everyone talks about it like it's Hell; but you know, we
really haven't seen a whole lot of it, and I still maintain that
if it really were an entirely miserable place, it would have
imploded.

Slytherin...that has a lot to do with who I am, and if you don't
see it, I don't know what else to say!

> That's really the context of his "Personal isn't the same as
> important."  He doesn't deny having feelings for Angua, he just
> doesn't act on them when it'd interfere with his duty.

Yes, well.  I was responding to the statement, not the book,
which, as you know, I have not read.

> > YMMV, as always, but I vastly prefer dealing with people who
> > admit they're human, that they are not objective all the
> > time, that they can love and hate and that it clouds their
> > thinking, that they have had bad experiences and/or childhood
> > indoctrination which sometimes interferes with their ability
> > to perceive strangers from unfamiliar groups accurately, and
> > that even when what's personal and important isn't relevant,
> > it'd be tough to ignore.
>
> I like all that too.  But I think I still have hope that when
> someone knows X clouds their thinking they can use that for
> more than simply avoiding the situation.

I don't think I said that was the only thing that you could do. I
believe I said something about keeping that in mind when making
decisions.

But there are some things that are so important that I question
how good a friend someone who can set it aside really is.

> Though having other people, especially officials, recuse
> themselves seems the safest policy.

Well, it certainly is an honourable one.

~malfoy