[LMB] Re: Lois-Bujold digest, Vol 1 #4164 - 9 msgs

B. Ross Ashley brashley46 at rogers.com
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 06:47:35 -0400

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:41:39 +0200 "Jo'Asia" <joasia at fandom.art.pl>
wrote: Re: [LMB] Re: Lois-Bujold digest, Vol 1 #4164 - 9 msgs My
comconsole brought me this letter from Peter H. Granzeau: |PHG> At 13:15
08/11/2004 -0400, B. Ross Ashley wrote:

|PHG> While the population of Wisent was as low as 50 in 1927, they are |protected
|PHG> and still exist in game preserves, and are making a small comeback.  |I saw
|PHG> a TV program about a Polish game preserve some years back which |showed some
|PHG> of them.

|Some of them have been released and now there is a free-living
|population. See <http://www.bpn.com.pl/eng/br.htm>

|There is a beer named "Zubr" (Polish for "Wisent") with a sweet
|commercial: <http://www.zubry.com/>. The slogan says "Wisent lives in the
|woods"

|Ross probably messed up Wisent and Bos Primigenius (see
|<http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Bos%20primigenius>,
|<http://www.prehistory.com/bosprimi.htm>)

|Last recorded animal died in 1627.

|Jo'Asia

You are correct; I mixed up the ruminants. And even for the aurochs (B. primigenius) ISTR a breeding programme trying to reconstitute an approximation of the breed from European domestic cattle ...

--

B. Ross Ashley
www.livejournal.com/users/brashley46/