[LMB] OT: Malfoy on Pratchett,

Nick Pilon npilon at gmail.com
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:23:24 -0300

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:47:04 -0400, Paula Lieberman <paal at gis.net> wrote:
> Cardboard characters still exist, and then there are Mary Sues--much fanfic
> is Mary Sue wishfulfillment fantasy fanfic.

Cardboard characters definitely still exist. A lot of supposedly good
sci-fi and fantasy gets thrown back on my bookshelf in disgust because
of characterization best described as wooden and plots best described
as flimsy. I could, of course, start naming names, but I'm sure no-one
wants the flame war that would, no doubt, ensue, so I'll leave it at
that.

Though I will add that the book being about the science/ideas is no
excuse for poor characterization and plotting. If you want to write
about science/ideas and don't care about the characters/plot, just
write an essay already!

--
-Nick Pilon