[LMB] OT: Malfoy on Pratchett, rated G I swear

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:02:34 -0400 (EDT)

Mary wrote:

> That's what makes it miraculous, IMO.  When people
> are able to do  this, it's a small miracle.

(g) I have been trying to avoid the word 'miracle'; as
a pantheist, so I don't consider miracles to be rare.
(Didn't mean to raise the subject of religion - ignore
that statement as you wish!)

> Just picture some recent college grad giving up the
> equivalent of a Corvette or whatever sports car you
> prefer to start a school for ignorant hillbillies.

Many of my friends in university did the  equivalent
of just that. I'm thinking about one friend who went
to work for the U.N. in Pakistan (and then
Afghanistan), and another who went into setting up
AIDS research in Africa; they didn't do it for the
money, in either case. But then I have cultivated a
circle of friends who aren't particularly interested
in corvettes anyway, and wouldn't find a Corvette any
kind of temptation.

> Or a person of any age putting the  welfare of a
> community they didn't even live in above their own.
> Really,  people are wonderful.

Sometimes.  Yes. And sometimes they are not.  It would
be nice to think that it all balances in the end.

namaste,
Elizabeth