[LMB] OT: Malfoy on Pratchett, rated G I swear.

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:39:58 -0700

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 06:19:14PM +0100, K Kuhn wrote:
> Damien Sullivan wrote:

> > > More seriously - was Brutha a Good Man, then?  And Vetinari would
> > I'd think so.
> Yet he really didn't seem to be the kind of person who thought that
> killing one man to fix things was a good idea.

Hmm.  Well, Vetinari will kill someone for being destabilizing.  Carrot struck
down someone about to shoot Vimes.  Brutha seemed a pacifist, unwilling to
kill anyone, as I recall.

> Well, preferring a "fiendishly difficult" code to a truly unbreakable
> code...... you have to suspect that maybe he's one of the Evil Overlords
> who likes a challenge.  And given his views of humanity's inherent

Actually that "how else would you know what they think they know?" is part of
real intelligence work.  In the real world we like our almost unbreakable
codes, but we also like exploiting a code we know they've cracked but they
don't know we know they've cracked.

> and we can all progress onwards".  Pratchetts are still uplifting and
> realizing that people can be heroes, but there's always the shadow of
> there will always be the small-minded nasty dratsabs with us too.

Ah, yes.  And the ending of Men at Arms, when Gaspode leaves his home.  "Maybe
that's not the way the world out to be that, but that's the way it is."

> > Heh.  And here I'd been thinking Pratchett would never praise Jackson's
> > Whole, or Malfoy's Left Hand Path.  When really, Vetinari juggles many
> > Left Hands to make A-M run.  But is he himself Left, or Right?
>
> Ambidextrous. ;)

Hah!

> But no vampires as yet.  Although maybe vampires are a little too
> obsessive to be good coppers?

Maybe, but that hasn't been Vimes's reason.  He just doesn't like vampires.
Might be an example of how one of our heroes can still have a prejudice he
can't overcome.

> Or maybe just realizing that "little wheels must turn in order for the
> big ones to turn", as opposed to the traditional aristocratic assumption
> that anything will show up when wished for as long as you have money?

Hmm, didn't think of the possible role of those events in making Vetinari what
he was.  "Hey, Keel has all the food."

-xx- Damien X-)