[LMB] OT: cardboard characters

Nick Pilon npilon at gmail.com
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:48:35 -0300

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:14:42 -0500, Louann Miller <lqmiller at ev1.net> wrote:
> Example of what I dislike: the long CGI 'car chase' sequence in the middle
> of the second Matrix movie. If they'd been using practical effects I could
> have at least been impressed by the stuntmen's craftsmanship, but since it
> was visibly all in a computer (and not in a good way) I just couldn't be
> bothered to care.

I'd have to agree here. The characterization in both movies was so
wooden that they just wound up feeling like video games. And since I
didn't actually get to play, they were quite dull indeed.

> Example of what I like: "Terminator," the original one. Heroine is in
> distress, alone at night, knows two women with her name have just been
> murdered, sees grim stranger following her. She goes straight into a
> crowded public place and calls the police from there. Sure, it didn't work
> -- but at least she was intelligent.

I can't give specific scene examples of what I like, because I tend to
appreciate the entire thing rather than specific bits. Spider-man II,
however, would be a good example. Lots of character development of all
the characters with action sequences that support it well.

--
-Nick Pilon