[LMB] OT: Technology (Non-fiction Reads)

Tom Vinson Tom_Vinson at mpsisys.com
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:26:58 -0500

Victoria L'Ecuyer (and/or her brother) noted:
> The problem with new technology (and this is private as well
> as military) is that it takes time to play with it and see
> just what the idiot factor (people who can't/won't follow
> instructions) can do to it. That's why a lot of old tactics
> are applied to new technology. Engineering new devices is a
> lot easier than changing old mindsets.

Heh.  You spend 6-12 months developing a system to report
modeling results using the internet, so clients don't have to
run huge batches of simulations, etc.  And the first thing they
come back with is wanting a way to run a huge batch of simulations
through it and print out the results.  And management won't let
me add a popup screaming TREEKILLER in bold red font every time
they hit the Print button.

Then again, it's the idiot factor that keeps my job from getting
boring.

Tom

Programming today is a race between software engineers
striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the universe trying to produce bigger and better
idiots. So far, the universe is winning...    --Rich Cook