[LMB] OT: W*b*r, was Rowling

Nick Pilon npilon at gmail.com
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:40:08 -0300

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:33:54 -0500, Louann Miller <lqmiller at ev1.net> wrote:
> I think that's what he writes with -- some sort of voice recognition
> program, certainly. But editing is apparently a whole different ball of
> wax. I can't say I'm surprised. The writing I've done, going back and
> re-writing or editing was a whole different process.

Actually, this explains quite a lot about recent HH books. The
quality's definitely gone downhill, and looking at this, the areas
where its slid are exactly the places where editing would make a
difference.

> One of the other Baen-ets (I forget if it was John Ringo or Eric Flint)
> mentioned in Usenet that W*b*r had him read the manuscript and asked if he
> was interested in doing some edits. (This on "War of Honor," the latest and
> biggest main-sequence book). The other author apparently declined on the
> grounds that W*b*r's good stuff (which I agree exists) might be wrecked by
> interference from an alien hand.

I think he's got a lot of good stuff. The problem is scope. His
writing (like most) works best when all the really big stuff happens
in the background and we focus on the protagonists doing Interesting
Things. Unfortunately, his latest books have tried to focus on the
really big stuff and suffered because of it.

Please excuse the OT on this topic, I just felt the need to comment on it. ^^;

--
-Nick Pilon