[LMB] Babylon 5 speeches, was Firefly OT:

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 19:05:38 -0400

-- Paula Lieberman
----- Original Message -----
From: "Damien Sullivan" <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu>

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 04:01:28PM -0400, Paula Lieberman wrote:
>
> > That's old-fashioned Science Fiction Expository Lumps, seen also in
Babylon
> > 5 where Sheridan and the other commander with last name begining with S
> > stood up and Speechified.  It's been around even longer, with
Shakespearian

> Commander Jeffrey Sinclair, Captain John Sheridan.  Note the JS initials,
> matching JMS first and last initials.
>
> > soliloquoys [spelling...], and "As you know, Fred" lumps in written SF.
>
> Soliloquies.
>
> "Now is the winter of our discontent..."  Richard III infodump.  Heh.

JMS plagiarized Churchill, among others, in B5.  I found it rather annoying
for historical speeches to be plucked uncredited out of their context and
regurgiated out of the mouths of the characters of Sheridan and Sinclair.
The actor who played the latter I think got a bum rap--the characters he was
playing was -supposed- to be a wooden, overcontrolled sort.

As for the JS initials, narcissism, ick (yes, I knew about then, and
considered it narcissism/self-indulgence, and still do--Mary Sue, Mary Sue,
duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh, just who are you?!"