[LMB] Babylon 5 speeches, was Firefly OT:

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:21:24 -0700

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 07:05:38PM -0400, Paula Lieberman wrote:

> regurgiated out of the mouths of the characters of Sheridan and Sinclair.
> The actor who played the latter I think got a bum rap--the characters he was
> playing was -supposed- to be a wooden, overcontrolled sort.

Hey, we agree on something.  Yeah, I was reading the newsgroup during the
series run, and saw a lot of "stiff and wooden acting!"  Which I didn't get;
they mostly seemed natural enough to me.  Often naturally stiff and wooden, or
more kindly "reserved"...

Sinclair lacked a real purpose, had his mind messed with, I think something at
a loss after the war, and then suddenly placed into a command position in
excess of his rank and reputation.  Yeah, kind of nervous.

Ivanova was clearly Type A, with Russian reserve, though equally capable of
letting her hair down (literally) and relaxing.

Garibaldi was a recovering alcoholic and kind of jumpy, and still able to joke
around.

The ambassadors, of course, stole the show.

No, I rarely had a problem with the acting.  The writing, sometimes, was
another matter...  re-watched "Babylon Squared" which had a nice "As you know,
Garibaldi" infodump on ID signals.  And the great dignity of the Minbari was
often wasted on some pretty chessy lines.

You mention Churchill, I mention Satai Sagan: "We are all made of starstuff."
Sheridan: "Wow!"  At least they were consistent about him being easy to
impress; he was kind of a big boy with guns early second season.

-xx- Damien X-)