[LMB] OT: Firefly and willing suspection of disbelief, was reading and watching recommendations

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 21:52:36 -0400 (EDT)

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 07:01:15PM -0400, Paula
> Lieberman wrote:
>
> > When Firefly aired the train robbery episode, that
> -majorly- soured me on the show.

I think it is  unfortunate that this is the episode
they showed first - it was, wasn't it? - because it
was the least significant of all the episodes, and not
a particularly good place to start.  When I watch it
again now I love it because I love the characters and
I understand what it's setting up.  When I first saw
it, I was less impressed, and it didn't really present
enough explanation to kick off the series.

I didn't mind the combination of sapce ship and train
though.  That kind of juxtaposition is one of the
things I like about Firefly.  Society is not uniform.
Technology isn't the same everywhere.  That, I like.

> I don't see what's wrong with a wooden interior.
> It's not as if the whole ship is built of wood.

I came to love the ship but only because I loved the
show.  I never cared much what Serenity was made of.

> The stuff you seem to have trouble suspending
> disbelief for is stuff which
> doesn't even *register* as challenging my belief.

No, me neither.

> One you accept the premise,
> ... support[1], most of the rest of the show
follows.

Yes. And I really, really liked that premise.  Evil
empires - economic disparities - rogue planets and
struggling independents and technology all over the
place, lawful and otherwise.  And the whole gamut of
social mores.

> But it works, if you give it half an inch.

I thought it worked beautiful, and the more we saw,
the more it fell together consistently.  Showing the
episodes out of order didn't help.

It's the closest thing to Bujold on TV.

namaste,
Elizabeth