[LMB] Re: OT: American film/TV SF and fantasy

Jean Lamb tlambs1138 at charter.net
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:49:11 -0700

>Comments and additions, folks?

Debbie
http://www.brigidsforge.com

--I have some catching up to do on digests, but what about The Simpsons?
Especially some of the Treehouse of Horror episodes, which include "Hungry
Are the Damned" which is a riff on "To Serve Man" (there's some really sick
stuff with the cookbook), a Bart-version of "It's a GOOD Life" and various
appearances of the aliens Kang and Kodos (don't ask what really happened in
the 1996 election). Then there's the one where Homer clones himself with a
magical hammock...and I really liked the one where Lucy Lawless kept having
to explain that she wasn't Xena. Other TV shows include _Otherworld_, where
Ray Walston played a _very_ snarky android in the pilot (only one season,
but serious, butt-kickin' worldbuilding), the eight episodes of _Roar_ (the
heck with Heath Ledger, I gave my heart to Gaius Cassius Longinus the first
episode). What little I saw of _Lexx_ convinced me that either they or I
were quite mad, and I still remember the Evil Cliffie from Hell that was the
last episode of _Farscape_.

For silly fantasy, I also recommend the Super Mario Movie (Live action). And
it's just frightening how the bad guy Scarran soldier boys in the last
couple of episodes of Farscape looked like goombas. I also like _Stay Tuned_
(about an Evil Satellite Dish). And for Guilty Pleasures, I enjoyed bits of
_Little Nicky_ (Hitler, the maid outfit, and the refrigerator full of
pineapples, if you must know). This is just off the top of my head.

Jean Lamb, tlambs1138 at charter.net
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for you are crunchy and good with
lemon drops."