[LMB] OT: Firefly and willing suspection of disbelief, was reading and watching recommendations

Royce Day sir-talen at comcast.net
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 03:32:33 -0400

Damien Sullivan wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 07:01:15PM -0400, Paula Lieberman wrote:
>

>>When Firefly aired the train robbery episode, that -majorly- soured me on
>>the show.  I thought it was a completely forced congruence, and extremely
>>stupid, to train robberies and stagecoach robberies on westerns.  Those were
>>rather dubious to start with, especially train robberies with people running
>>around the top of the train and hijacking it... but using a spaceship as a
>>vehicle for a train robbery? How utterly lame, it completely exploded any
>>

>What, exactly, is lame about it?  They have trains.  You have a spaceship.
>You want to make a fast pickup.  You use the spaceship.  I'm not seeing the
>problem here.

Because let's face it, Mal is cheap enough not want to have to RENT A
FLYER THAT COULD BE TRACED BACK TO HIM.  Yeesh.

>>juncture.  And using a lameness of maglev train, that didn't help any--I
>>

>>correctlly, and lots of -sandbags- at the end of the track, because the
>>object that was maglev'ed had gone =flying- off the end of the track when
>>

>I can't find your point.  What was wrong with their maglev?  Maglev trains
>work; there's one in commercial use in China.

They make Baby Jesus cry.  That and *obviously* a maglev designed to
function X number of centuries in the future can't possibly be more
efficient or safer than what we have today.

>>me for willing suspension of disbelief with stuff like Firefly, with its
>>wooden interior and what looked like wildly inconsistent internal volume and
>>configuration, particularly compared to exterior shots of the craft.
>>

>I think the DVD commentary says they actually built a whole multilevel set.  I
>don't know if the exterior was built too, or if that's all CGI.

Just the front cargo door exterior was built as a real set.  And I
suppose the bits on the top that Jubal Early was walking on in "Objects
in Space."

-ROyce in MD