[LMB] Cliches, and their antitheses, was TV SF OT:

Marna Nightingale marna at marna.ca
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 04:40:00 -0400

CatMtn at aol.com wrote:

> What I meant by saying that acting like a man when you don't want to is
> disrespectful of what we really are is that Malfoy, for example, likes skirts  and
> ruffles.  If she wore slacks and tailored clothes _when she didn't  want to_
> just to make a feminist statement, that would be saying that  traditional
> women's clothes are not as "good" as mannish clothes.

Agreed, and thank you for putting it so well.

Being female is pleasant, you know?

Acting and dressing in many of the ways that women in this culture have
traditionally acted and dressed is also pleasant for many people -- as
long as nobody's standing over you forcing you into doing that and only
that.

Being treated like sh*t because one is female, or because one finds
value in those things, THAT is the part which is not pleasant.

Marna.