[LMB] fragments of a post on mutations

CatMtn at aol.com CatMtn at aol.com
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:28:01 EDT

Pouncer writes:

Then you  have Prince Serg and Ges Vorrutyer living up to the legend -- at
least  insofar as they were villains who sought to rape and impregnate.
Where
does THAT particular perversion originate?

M:

_They_ didn't rape and impregnate, they had Bothari do it.  (Unless  some of
those URs held illegitimate princes and little Vorrutyers, which I  doubt.  If
they had, I think Negri would have quietly disposed of them  as possible
threats to Gregor.)

Perhaps they considered paranoid schizophrenia (or extreme  ugliness) a
mutation; that would tie in with the Barrayaran fear of  mutation and being
pregnant with a mutant baby as a "worst possible" fate.   Prince Serg was a
homosexual whose fixation was on women who were already  pregnant, although we
thankfully don't know exactly what he did to  them.  Ges was going to rape Cordelia to
hurt Aral, but he had  already told Bothari to do so, and Bothari had
refused.  Actually it seems  a dangerous thing for him to do even without Bothari's
intervention; what  if the prince had been jealous?

Mary