[LMB] Barrayaran mutations

catherine muir c_muir68 at hotmail.com
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:51:03 +0000

Strikes me that surviving "the fire" (sounds like a solar flare), the
closing wormhole (presumably emitting large amounts of radiation); the
Barrayaran environment and the various incidents during Barrayar's
colonisation up to the end of the Time of Isolation would have two
effects. One, there would be a far higher number of mutations, presumably
many non-viable.  Add in a degree of guilt-related superstition - we
should never have left home! It's a judgement on us! - then add in denial
- if you can't see it, it doesn't exist - and voila, mass extinction of
visible mutation. Then add hypocrisy to the mix - see how righteous we
are! - we got rid of the mutations! But also Two - Barrayarans may also
have mutated to cope with their new conditions, so that the population as
it now stands has moved from the base human stock.  (Bear in mind, for
example, the approving comments on Ekaterin's shape in CC - "the
Barrayaran ideal of beauty....including the capacity to survive minor
famines").

Sign up to the MSN Premium service in June and receive a FREE webcam
worth #39.99! More details here.