[LMB] Barrayar & soldiers' feet

CatMtn at aol.com CatMtn at aol.com
Thu, 13 May 2004 09:33:18 EDT

Paula writes:
By WWII, of course, the supply was more
efficiently provided by knitting factories.

M:

Perhaps--but I remember going with my mother to ladies' groups that knitted
socks, some sort of sleeve things that looked rather like small dancer's leg
warmers, and ski mask-like things that I think were called Balaclava helmets
during WW II (I was around 5 or 6 at the time, and don't really remember what
this stuff was called, just what it looked like and that it was all olive drab).
Home knitted stuff is a lot thicker and warmer than the machine knits
available at the time, or even quite a few years later.  In fact, now that I think
about it, depending on what size needles you use, how tight a stitch you knit,
and what kind of yarn, it might still be true.

About soldiers tending their feet--when I read one of the RAH later books (To
Sail Beyond the Sunset, possibly, or Time Enough for Love) he talks about WW
I soldiers coating their feet with Vaseline to combat trench foot, blisters,
etc., and remembered my dad, who was a WW I vet, telling me the same thing.

Mary