[LMB] guy vs. gal romance

Tracy MacShane billie_t at fastmail.fm
Fri, 01 Apr 2005 12:07:10 +1000

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:59:20 -0500, "Paula Lieberman" <paal at gis.net>
said:

> Consider thought _Prince of Morning Bells_ by Nancy Kress and _The
> Stagman" by Robin McKinley.  The women stay in their relationships because their
> societies expect them to, against their innermost desires.   Hmm....
>
> A better example would be a novel by Marion Zimmer Bradley that I can't
> remember the name of--Shattered Chains, maybe?  But I don't think that
> that's the one I'm thinking of, or maybe it is--the characters include a
> woman who's legally Terran but grew up on Darkover with a name something
> like Margali, and a native Darkovan woman's who's Free Amazon,

Thendara House. Still a good read, but a bit retro in its treatment of
sexual politics. Some things HAVE changed, and Peter (the hubby
twice-dumped) strikes me more and more as a straw man as time goes on.
I'm sure that many of them were that bad back in the day, but I don't
think even the most caveman type would be so *obvious* about it now.