[LMB] Cool, in fact cold, link of the day: Arctic politicalcampaigns OT:

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Fri Dec 2 06:23:12 GMT 2005

In Canada, senators can be cabinet ministers. However, aside from the
Government leader in the Senate, they rarely are.

To quote Forsey:
"The Prime Minister is normally a Member of the House of Commons (there
have been two from the Senate, from 1891 to 1892 and from 1894 to 1896).

"... By custom, almost all the members of the Cabinet must be Members of
the House of Commons, or, if not already Members, must win seats. Since
Confederation, on occasion, people who were not members of either House
have been appointed to the Cabinet, but they had to get seats in the House
or the Senate within a reasonable time, or resign from the Cabinet.

"... Senators can be members of the Cabinet; the first Cabinet, of 13
members, had five Senators. But since 1911, usually there has been only
one Cabinet Minister in the Senate, and that one without portfolio, the
leader of the Government in the Senate.

"... Twice between 1979 and 1984, there were three or four Senators in the
Cabinet. The Conservatives, in 1979, elected very few MPs from Quebec, and
the Liberals, in 1980, elected only two from the four Western provinces.
So both parties had to eke out the necessary Cabinet representation for
the respective provinces by appointing more Senators to the Cabinet."

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/library/idb/forsey/institutions_08-e.asp

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"In fact, every one of us comes into this world naked and helpless, and most leave it in
the same condition -- and we are dependent on one another every single day in between. The
'stand on your own feet and take care of yourself' attitude the right wing keeps pushing is
not only cruel, but stupid, too." -- Molly Ivins