[LMB] OT: Re: definition, please! (naval slang)

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Tue Dec 6 19:41:33 GMT 2005

At 01:04 AM 12/6/2005, Harrison Carter wrote:
>M Traber wrote:
> > black gang [very archaic for engineman,
> > refers to shoveling coal into the old
> > style boilers]
>
>While that is the archaic origin, a friend
>formerly in the merchant marine assured me
>that it is still in use, and considering
>the less-than-spotless nature of most
>diesel-fired boiler rooms in ships, quite
>apropos.
>
>And Peter H. Granzeau followed with:
> > I'm trying to remember the term used for
> > surface navy by the bubbleheads, but
> > can't.
>
>"Targets."
>
>(Or did you not intend the setup?)

No, I thought of it, but "target" is a synonym for "surface ship",
not just "surface navy".  Someone else provided "skimmer", which is
the word I couldn't think of.

(BTW, I understand that one of the missions for subs nowadays is to
accompany carrier battle groups and act as first line of defense
against hostile subs and surface craft, so at least SOME of the
surface navy counts as "us", not "them".)

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net