[LMB] OT: Re: definition, please! (naval slang)

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Wed Dec 7 04:39:05 GMT 2005

At 04:58 PM 12/6/2005, CatMtn at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 12/6/2005 3:18:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>pgranzeau at cox.net writes:
>
> >Aviation  branch officers of the USN have a uniform called "winter
> >working green",  which looks a lot like a Marine's uniform (single
> >breasted coat, tan  shirt, etc.), with which brown shoes were
> >originally the only shoe worn (I  think black shoes are now OK with
> >it).  Surface officers, of course,  didn't wear anything like it, and
> >the only color of shoes they wore in  winter were black, to go with
> >the navy blue dress uniform.
>
> >Hence  the "brown shoe/black shoe" differentiation
>
>Were black shoes or white shoes worn with the summer non-dress  whites?

At the time I was in the USN, officers and Chiefs wore white shoes
with the white uniforms; sailors wore black shoes at all time.

At that time, during the summer, sometimes officers wore white, but
more often they wore khaki, and at that time, brown shoes were
required with khaki (not so any longer).

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net