[LMB] a question of identity OT:

yadler at thejnet.com yadler at thejnet.com
Mon Dec 12 03:54:52 GMT 2005

I don't own a television or listen to the radio often[1] , so i would like a
quick mass-market reality check from the big wide world of listees, please

I just heard a commercial on the radio, that people who are addicted to
over-the-counter medicine should tell their doctors, and get help.  there
were an alternating male and female voice.  it started off the same for
both, woe is me, my work is wrecked, my home life is wrecked, i'm afraid to
tell anyone, i finally told my doc and got help. (so far so good)

the last 2 lines of this advert rather shocked me.
woman: my daughter got her mother back.
man:      i finally got my life back.

what?  doesn't the woman get her life back too?  or is her life supposed to
be fulfilled by her daughters happiness in getting mommy back?   does she
have no identity of her own?  i thought women are no longer defined as "ma
kosti' , 'someone's mother' or 'someone's wife'.

is this a fluke, or did mass marketing not get the news flash that women
have lives, too?

ziviya, perfectly happy to be X's Mom to hte neighborhood kids, not so much
from other adults.

[1] -not- a complete ignoramus here, people, there are still newspapers and
the internet..  i get my news from reading, mostly, instead of listening.