[LMB] a question of identity OT:

Rowena morgaine at zonnet.nl
Mon Dec 12 09:33:30 GMT 2005

Michael Bauminger wrote:

> On Sunday, December 11, 2005 10:54 PM, yadler at thejnet.com
> <yadler at thejnet.com> wrote:
>
>> I just heard a commercial on the radio, that people who
>> are addicted to over-the-counter medicine should tell
>> their doctors, and get help.
>

> I have heard this advertisement, too. I am pretty sure that the drug
> in question is heroin, not over the counter medicines.

I can imagine someone become aware of having a problem by an ad if they
are addicted to painkillers or tranquelisers (are they over the counter
for you folks?). But heroin? The scenario that an heroin addict watches
TV, sees this add and comes to the conclusion 'gee I have a problem
here, lets tackle it' seems a little far fetched. But than again, I
don't have TV either, and I live in the Netherlands, perhaps do our
heroin junkies react differently to yours? (or the ad-makers are more
optimistic? here they stick to over the counter painkiller adiction,
drunk driving, save sex, get excersize and don't practice domestic
violence - these are hard enough)

>> the last 2 lines of this advert rather shocked me.
>> woman: my daughter got her mother back.
>> man:      i finally got my life back.
>>
>> what?  doesn't the woman get her life back too?
>

> In the first part of the ad, the woman is saying how she is no longer
> able to be a proper mother to her daughter. That is why at the end,
> she says her daughter got her mother back. I heard it in the context
> that they were using two people to illustrate two different classes of
> people hurt by one person's drug use -- that person, and his or her
> family. In other words, if your own life is not so important to you
> that you would clean up for yourself, maybe your family is important
> enough to you that you will clean up for them.

I agree with Ziviya. Ofcourse, you want to show two different good
outcomes so as to appeal to as many people as possible (some people
would not be touched by the daughter argument, but some might well be,.
likewise the life back). But I don't think it is a coincidence at all
that they had the woman saying the line about the daughter and the man
the more general line. It is after all (still) in line with perception
about what the priorities of men and women ought to be. An ad like this
can't afford to differ to much from perceptions of those it wants to
reach, because then reaching them would be harder. If the man had said
"now I finally have my daughter back" I wouldn't be surprised if this
would not 'work' as intended, people might start to think in what way he
has his daughter back (in stead of the natural way of being able to be a
parent for her).  But maybe instead of swapping the sentences they might
have come up with more neutral ones like "now I have my family back"
"now I can be myself again" (or is that to hippy/new age?) "now I can
enjoy life" stuff like that.

Rowena