[LMB] good news!! Earthsea OT:

Noel Rappin noelrappin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 04:12:12 GMT 2005

Others have talked about Earthsea with more knowledge than I can -- I
just wanted to point out that your Broadway examples probably don't
make your point as strongly as you think.

The controversy over Miss Saigon was not over the female lead (played
by Lea Salonga, who is from the Philippines). It was over one of the
male supporting characters, The Engineer, played in London and NY by
Jonathan Pryce.  It was not, at least initially, a public protest.
Actors Equity threatened not to allow Pryce to play the role in New
York.  I don't remember historical accuracy being the stated reason
for the conflict (the character, after all, was half European), but
rather that, it was largely due to the very limited number of
Broadway roles written for Asian characters (it would be kind of
silly for minority actors to come out in favor of strict historical
accuracy, after all).  In any case Equity eventually backed down,
although I don't know what the exact reason or negotiations were.

The gentlemen who you are referring to in Phantom was probably Robert
Guillaume, who played it some time in the late 1980s.  And I do
remember some eyelash turning concerning it -- I wouldn't have known
about it at the time except for the fact that it generated some
mainstream press.  Although I think the press was mostly because
Guillaume was by that point more famous for his sitcom work.  (Saying
he was considered a "top theater talent" is probably a little strong,
though).  For some reason I want to mention that Antonio Bandaras
lobbied heavily for the movie role of the Phantom, but didn't get it.

Hope this helps, well, somebody.

Noel