[LMB] Re: OT: Colors of Earthsea and Narnia

Beth Mitcham mitcham.beth at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 16:47:08 GMT 2005

On 12/18/05, Tracy MacShane <billie_t at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > (1) It's not allegory. "Allegorical" if you
> > absolutely must.
>
> Pardon me. It's *an* allegory, ok? To be frank, though, if I wanted a
> public grammar lesson, I'd ask.

I think the idea is not the grammar issue, which would be an annoying
carp, but that the Narnia stories are not a true allegory because the
characters are not avatars for other things.  There are some
relationships between Christian themes and Narnian themes (that's why
she'll accept "allegorical") but nothing so direct as an allegory.

So a dispute about a literary judgement rather than a grammar quibble.
 I tend to agree that the Narnia stories aren't really an allegory.
Even the Christian themes are muted in most of the books.

Beth Mitcham, who hasn't seen the movie yet