[LMB] AKICOTL: [OT:]

Andrew Barton AndrewBarton at compuserve.com
Sun Dec 25 05:12:18 GMT 2005

M. Traber
<snip>

> Not everybody who gets into the military combat units actually can bring
> themselves to kill. I can vaguely remember reading a study that
> something like 9 in 20 rounds expended in combat results in an injury or
> death, and something like 2 men per unit will not be able to actually
> shoot someone directly. It takes a particular mindset to be able to kill
> someone in cold blood.

The classic study is 'Men Against Fire' by SLA Marshall, IIRC a brigadier
in the US army.  He collected data from WW2 units, and got figures for the
proportion of men who fired their weapons during combat.  That's fired
their weapons AT ALL while there were enemies in view, never mind AT
anyone, still less actually hitting anyone.

Those figures varied by nationality, but I don't think any of them got as
high as 50%.  The figure for the US army was the lowest at around 25%.

Andrew