[LMB] Food for Thought OT: (Was: An Author of Bujoldian Quality OT:)

JMW JMW lady_isabeau at msn.com
Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:03:22 -0500

Most things billed as "classical French literature" felt that way to me,
too, when I was taking my lit courses for my major.  Which isn't reallly
true, of course, since "classical French literature" includes
some truly fun stuff...but why, in the name of heaven, force us through all
the hundreds of pages of something specifically _called_ "Les Miserables???"
  Oh, why?  I went through college (partly helped by the popularity of the
musical, I admit) convinced that Hugo only wrote about starving wretches and
lost causes.  Then I read "Notre Dame de Paris," admittedly about a starving
wretch and a lost cause, but OMG, characters!  Like, real people, not
symbols!  Why didn't anyone tell me??  (Ok, in Esmerelda's case, bloody
stupid real people, but still...)  And Dumas didn't even show up in my
curriculum.  No, we got shoved through Flaubert's "Un Coeur Simple," in
which a dying (wretched, starving) woman is convinced that her taxidermized
parrot is God.  Oh, yes.

Joy Lanterman