[LMB] An Author of Bujoldian Quality OT:

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:21:53 -0500 (EST)

I glumped about how I didn't like Patrick O'Brian's
books when everyone else did and Peter said:

> If lines like "Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
> don't get you, you just aren't the O'Brian type.

Actually, I love that line. And that scene.  That was
O'Brian at his best.  And the whole sloth sequence.
There were lots of individual moments and paragraphs
that I liked - a lot. But it didn't hang together for
me.

> What I feel is that he was
> the best writer of
> nautical historical fiction post-Forester, and
> that's a small genre of its
> own with half a dozen active authors.

Yes, and I like many of them - I'm really quite into
Alexander Kent and Dudley Pope. (Further
recommendations welcome.) It's just that O'Brian seems
to be the general writer of intellectual choice - at
least among my friends and acquaintances - and despite
every reason to be believe I should love those books,
I don't.

namaste,
Elizabeth
dancing to a different harpist