[LMB] Map nuts, was Re: Food for Thought OT:

Nancy L. Barber nlbarber at alum.emory.edu
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 14:31:48 -0500

At 1:44 PM -0500 2/9/05, CatMtn at aol.com wrote:

>It's great to encounter another map nut.  We had one wall of our  office
>conference room papered with the entire US in aviation maps, and it  looked
>terrific.  ...

(And thanks to Robert for his USGS cheerleading--always
appreciated...)

I'm a lesser-class map nut, given that I work for USGS.
There's a Raven Maps landforms and drainage map, based
on a USGS digital shaded-relief map, on the living-room
wall, and a reproduction 1888 topo map of Atlanta on
the study wall. And there's a 1908 geological map of
Georgia I keep meaning to have framed, if it's not too
fragile. And the office has, in addition to various maps
for my work (national aquifer map, a map of the US
showing water withdrawals by county done as a continuous
surface), the Edward Tufte poster of Minard's illustration
of Napoleon's march to Moscow, "[perhaps] the best
statistical graphic ever drawn."

The Raven Maps map:
http://www.ravenmaps.com/Detail.bok?no=3
looks blah, but there's amazing detail and all sorts of
landforms you never suspected existed when you look
closely.

The Minard:
http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/posters

    Nancy Barber