[LMB] OT: US middle class blue vs white collar (was A life of annoyance and pov

Andrew Lambdin-Abraham a.abraham at mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:29:15 -0600

On 9/02/2005, at 7:34 PM, CatMtn at aol.com wrote:

> His choice of sport
> would probably  disqualify him, though--he ran track in school, but
> boxed
> professionally on the  side.  Very blue-collar sport, pro boxing.

The sports one follows probably does have some strong class
correlations.  NASCAR[1] has almost entirely a blue collar following,
while golf and tennis are white collar, I think.
In the US, I think football and baseball are pretty cross-class.  I
don't really know about basketball and hockey.

The New Zealander's on the list can correct me, but I got the
impression rugby appeals to all kinds, while cricket is less blue
collar.

Can anybody think of other examples?

Andrew