[LMB] Geographical mobility (was social mobility) OT:

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:56:59 -0800

POUNCER wrote:

> But in general Lois is correct that US
> households turn over more quickly than
> European.

It is getting less true as years pass.

I was born and bred in Provence. When my future husband's family had to
travel there from Normandy for the wedding it was like we were asking
them to visit a foreign country. A *really* far away country with weird
climate and full of strange customs. We are talking about France here,
where mandatory, centrally controlled public education crushed most
regional differences more than a century ago...

However, for us to settle "midway" in Paris (where we both went to
college) was perfectly acceptable. Our generation is much more mobile,
and while my parents and in-laws generation all married "locally", that
is not true of my siblings and cousins.

My in-laws still haven't recovered from our move to California though.
150 miles is plenty far away enough, thank you very much.

Agnes, who did *not* move 5000 miles to get away from her mother-in-law.
Honest.