[LMB] Re: Komarr and Oaths

Franz Tomasek (Home) ftomasek at storm.co.za
Sun, 02 Jan 2005 10:47:06 +0200

Salve

On 02/01/05
   at 12:30 AM, "Peter H. Granzeau" <pgranzeau at cox.net> said:

>I believe no one was ever actually forced to give his parole in the days
>when wars were fought by gentlemen and paroles were given.  In fact, a
>man  of true honor would probably refuse to give his parole, and force
>his  captors to expend the time and resources to imprison him.  As I
>remember  from military days (45 years ago), members of the US Military
>are forbidden  to ask for, or accept, parole.  I could misremember the
>subject, of course.

After reading this I did a little web searching, which led me to the
article "Prisoner of War Parole: Ancient Concept, Modern Utility" at
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/law/pow_parole.pdf. I was tickled by
the mention of Grotius, since references to his writings on Roman-Dutch
law are still to be found in South African judgments.

Vale
Franz