Heinlein was Re: [LMB] Book club questions (moving OT:) Heinlein

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:33:01 -0500 (EST)

There's a Good Heinlein, and there's Pretty Bad Heinlein, and there's
Middling Heinlein.

Unless you're a completist, there's so much Good Heinlein that you can
ignore the others. Farnham's Freehold is in the Pretty Bad category  --
even if you agreed with it, you'd have to admit it's badly written.

If I was going to start someone off with Heinlein, I'd choose:
Double Star
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Glory Road
Citizen of the Galaxy
Have Spacesuit, Will Travel
The Puppet Masters
The Door into Summer

If they like those, you can go on from there, warning them off the
clunkers.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"I am not amused by this 21st century. I want to take it back for a full refund,
and can we have a real one, please?" -- Charles Stross (Locus, January, 2005)