[LMB] Re: OT: Other Authors

Jessy Brody jessybrody at gmail.com
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 17:57:51 +0000

Harimad:
> Now that I've dumped thoroughly on Heinlein I thought I'd talk about
a book I like.

> "After the King," a collection of short stories written in honor of
Tolkein.  I found some excellent authors in that books, including
Emma Bull, Judith Tarr and Derek De Lint (although I later decided I
like De Lint's short stories but not novels)

In the wake of Those Films, I seem to be taking a hiatus from all
things Tolkien. I'd already decided not to read LotR for at least a
decade or 20 years or something bc I'd read them *so many* times as a
child not taken to the library often enough and had read all the
reading out of them. The plan was to read other things my Tolkien -
did read The Silmarillion - but, well, I just don't have the heart.

I know some ppl, including Tolkien fans (the kind that were fans
before the films), like what Peter Jackson did well enough, but I have
developed a severe aversion somehow. And now, thinking back to
Tolkien's prose-style esp in most of Return of the King, I wonder how
I became such a fan, esp starting at the tender age of 8 or 9. I don't
think I could become a Tolkienite now. I'm not a huge purist, I think
_Bored of the Rings_ and Cassandra Claire's online 'The Very Secret
Diaries' (slash) are funny, I just have a prejudice against Those
Films.

I'm actually a very prejudiced person, but one who thinks living and
letting live is a good idea, possibly bc I'm don't feel that I'm with
the mainstream on a number of issues. But I don't want to think about
politics. I'd like to stop reading the newspapers, but there are
occasionally interesting articles, and I'm a compulsive reader anyway.
If I'm eating, I want something to read to, and ...

Wow. A beautiful example of a typically Jessian digression. I end up
deleting most of them. You could form a new version of Six Degrees
from Kevin Bacon based on conversational topics and the ability of a
lateral thinker to jump from one to another in the space of a
sentence. If I'm not careful, my friends spend a lot of time saying
'what are you talking about?' A lot of my emails have the subject line
'ramblings' or 'warning: major digressions'. Maybe this one should,
too.

JLB
--
Welcome to Triage -Kurt Vonnegut
He was never noisy and lacked the dogmatism of the insecure -written