[LMB] Cellphones on planes OT:

Alexandra Haropulos aharo at erols.com
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:52:58 -0500

I have had some of the world's greatest experiences on
airplanes (talented pilots, nuturing stewards, wonderful
scenery, quiet time for reflection, witty and educated
seatmates, and even good food!)

I have also had truly ghastly experiences on airplanes (bad
schedules, life-threatening pilots, vomit-inducing food,
steerage-class overpacking, screaming babies, and
looks-like-a-terrorist seatmates).

Cellphones just up the ante.

I would like to remind everyone that it is a violation of
Federal law in the US to use a cellphone (or a Blackberry,
my little sales buddies) in flight. Whether or not it
actually interferes with aircraft systems seems to be a
matter of debate. But, how important are your personal
communications needs vs the safety of the flight?