[LMB] Re: OT: Native Tongue

Jessy Brody jessybrody at gmail.com
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:42:48 +0000

JLB wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up. In like one sentence, what happens in the
third, just so I don't cave into curiosity?

Me [Harimad]:
> Apart from not being a good, or even decent book, I object to the
effects of the ice age in the book.  Or more specifically, the lack
of them.  There's a glaciation period in which males die young (as
infants, if memory serves) because they're not hardy enough,  and
humans are sustained by artificial insemination; other aspects of
life are low tech.  Nonetheless, when the glaciation is over, society
returns to status quo ante, including all the legal restrictions on
women.  One, I don't believe that an eons long glacial period,
combined with the loss of the colonies, wouldn't change society.
Two, I don't believe that women would remain legally powerless when
they were the only humans alive for a time and when they moved heaven
and earth to ensure the survival of the human race.

> That's my biggest gripe.  There are others.

Me:
Thanks for that. Sounds ... remarkably poorly conceived (if I may use
the verb). Maybe she had a contract, and a deadline to meet? Anyway,
I'm sure there's plenty more end-of-civilization-as-we-know-it novels
out there. _Lord of the Flies_, say. I read the book when I was too
young to appreciate it, but I saw the film recently and it was
fantastic. If I'd seen that first I would have wanted to read the
book, and might have been disappointed. But like I said, it's been a
while since I've read the book.

JLB
--
Welcome to Triage -Kurt Vonnegut
He was never noisy and lacked the dogmatism of the insecure -written