[LMB] OT: Gmail Privacy Policy

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:38:21 -0500

At 17:24 03/16/2005, J Selin wrote:

>There is nothing in the law that says you need to offer ID for cash
>purchases unless the item being purchased requires it, or the price
>is so high that using cash triggers "know your customer" rules.  If
>you tried to pay cash for a new car, expect scrutiny.  If you use a
>check, don't expect scrutiny (at least not where I bought my car).

Paying by check is treated nowadays about the same as holding a gun on them
and demanding money.  I have been places they want a thumbprint and a
photograph, and I know of no store where they won't demand at least two
forms of identification.  Places that will accept a credit card with no
questions refuse to cash checks.

Now, a new car, you can pay for by personal check (and I have done exactly
that).  But they know your name and address (for the registration) anyway.

I have also paid for a new car with cash, but that was 1957, so I don't
know how valid that example is any longer.  In 1957, you could cash a check
virtually anyplace.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net