[LMB] Ivan's rank [Was: Ivan Vorpatril]

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:50:17 -0500

At 18:45 03/16/2005, CatMtn at aol.com wrote:
>Damien writes:
>
> >How  strongly does Naval Captain imply actually being captain of a  ship?
>
>I don't think there's much correlation.  Depending on the size and
>importance of the ship and the situation (war or peacetime) a
>ship's  captain may be
>anything from a Lt. (I think--it may be Lt. Cmdr.) on  up to an admiral,
>although you'd be more likely to find an admiral in charge of  a group of
>ships.

Not Admiral, ever, in US (or British, to my knowledge) use.

To get anal about it:  Captain isn't officially the name of a job; the name
of the job is Commanding Officer.  The term "captain" is used to describe
the person holding the job, so is "skipper" or "old man".

At the time I was in the USN, the Commanding Officer might be addressed as
"Captain".  Other people with that rank would be addressed as "Captain
Jones".  No one was ever confused by the difference.

All that other crud is el-neato stuff thought up for Star Trek by adolescents.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net