[LMB] Re: OT: Gmail Privacy Policy (passports)

Jessy Brody jessybrody at gmail.com
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:33:49 +0000

> English and Hebrew ; ) Most Israelis speak English quite well
> anyway (have to, if they want to go to university, since few
> textbooks are in English; my dad got his BA in Israel and wrote
> his papers in English), and there are so many immigrants, and
> English is the lingua franca (lingua anglica, or something like
> that, we might say these days) so I guess if you can't expect
> someone to speak Hebrew, then you might expect them to speak
> some English. That's how it works in hostels, anyway.

Malfoy:
> Huh.  I didn't think you could get a job in Israel unless you had
Hebrew--I thought that's what ulpans were for.

Oops, I wasn't clear. I meant that in hostels generally (and I've
never had occasion to stay in one in Israel, just in various parts of
Europe) the assumption is that whatever the native tongue of the
punters, they'll speak enough English to pay for their room.

I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to get a job in Israel if
you don't speak Hebrew. I'm sure it's possible, but yeah, best to go
to an ulpan first for a few months. If you speak both Hebrew and
English, you'll have that many more opportunities.

JLB
--
Welcome to Triage -Kurt Vonnegut
He was never noisy and lacked the dogmatism of the insecure -written