[LMB] Re: OT: Men,women, math, and today's news

Elizabeth McCoy arcangel at io.com
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:17:27 -0500

At 3:47 PM +0000 3/20/05, Jessy Brody wrote:
>Read an article in a British paper about girls in rural areas of
>Scandinavian countries beating out boys in math and science up until
>university, so they can get out of the rural areas, whereas the boys
>are much less motivated academically since there are opportunities,
>like fishing, for males in those areas. Once the girls got to
>university, their overall performance drops, probably due to finally
>facing competition in math and science from their male classmates.

Now that's... just wonky. Their performance might drop due to distractions,
but it shouldn't _drop_ due to competition unless it is universal that
everything is graded on a scale, with the highest score being "100" and
the lowest being 0.

Maybe their overall standing in a class drops due to competition -- but
if their actual projected _scores_ drop, as in objective "for given
questions of type X, Y% will be right", I'd wager there's either
discrimination involved, culture shock, or a deeper cultural indoctrination
in "get out and get married"...

O:/
--
--Beth, arcangel at io.com     http://www.io.com/~arcangel/