[LMB] Re: OT: Episcopagans (From an expert)

James Burbidge jamesandmary.burbidge at sympatico.ca
28 Mar 2005 22:22:34 -0500

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 22:45, Mark Eddy wrote:

> The fourth type of Episcopagan is one that I've seen many more of at
> seminary than I thought I would -- the true syncretists. Some of them
> actually see the Trinity as being Mother, Sophia/Chokmah, and Ruah.
> Others believe that it doesn't matter what you believe, as long as you
> believe it firmly. I was in chapel when they invoked the Earth Mother
> during the canon of the mass -- just before the words of institution[3].
> They're usually scary wave three feminists[4], too, and I assume that
> they're Episcopalians because it pays better.

> [2] Pelagius was a contemporary of Augustine, and held that original sin
> was nonsense, salvation needed a show of deeds by the saved person to be
> proven real, and that monasticism and ascetic practice were not a
> necessarily permanent vocation.

Well, sorta...

One of the more bizarre misreadings I ever ran into was in a series of
Arturian novels by Jack Whyte, which has Pelagians showing up as really
broadminded people who have a very relaxed view of sin.  Given that
Pelagius believed in a far more rigorous standard than Augustine and
basically would have held everyone to a more-than-monastic llevel, this
got it just about exactly backward.

> [3] The words of institution repeat the story of the last supper, and
> are held (in the West[5]) to be the moment at which the transformation
> of the bread and wine occurs. This is offensive enough to me that I can
> only say that it would be like invoking Asherah in the middle of Shabbas
> services, just to prove that you're open minded.

This is offensive enough to me that I would make a fuss and then stalk
rapidly out of the Church.  Which I would then avoid until it had been
re-consecrated.